Earth Day is coming up next week and we've got a great activity to do with the kids to get them thinking about our waste and how it takes all of us to reduce, reuse and recycle. Before your next garbage day, gather the kids to go through the garbage with you, looking for the following things:
- How many items are in the regular garbage that should be in the recycling bin?
- Is there anything that could have been used again before being tossed?
- Are there items that could have been donated to charity instead of thrown away?
- Discuss ways you as a family can remember to sort garbage more effectively.
- Look at the bottom of the packaging for recycling symbols and talk about what they mean.
- Are there items that could be reused again? Think creatively about new purposes for items you are tossing.