- Take inventory before shopping. Chances are, the backpack you put in the corner last June has plenty of items that can be re-used in September. And those jeans you put away in May probably still fit. Make a list of everything you need, then do an inventory of what you already have.
- Never buy anything at full price. August is rich with summer clearance racks and back-to-school sales. Chances are, you'll be able to find just about everything you need on sale.
- Always sign up for rewards programs. Extra savings and coupons will come your way to remain loyal. You don't have to be loyal, but why miss out on extra savings to entice you?
- Use your smartphone for smart savings. Download apps like Favado to compare in-store prices. That's less running around and more savings.
- Ask for a student discount. Many retailers offer student discounts, especially during back-to-school time, but they rarely advertise it. Be sure to ask at checkout if there is a discount for students or educators.
- Save receipts for price adjustments. If something you bought last week is discounted this week, many retailers will offer you a refund of the price difference, but only if you have a receipt.
- Always consider used. Sites like Craigslist and ebay, as well as consignment stores, re-sale stores and thrift stores have incredible prices. You'll often find better quality items than discount stores with lower prices too.
Back to School Buying Tips
Getting the kids back to school doesn't have to break the bank. A little bit of homework ahead of time can end up in big savings, which we think is worth an A+. Follow these tips and move to the head of the class: