15 Brilliant Baking Hacks
Want to feel like a baking ninja? We’ve got fifteen genius hacks to give you some mad skills.
- Drop a piece of eggshell into the mixing bowl? Wet your finger and hold it just above, and the shell will practically jump onto your finger.
- No time to make frosting to decorate a cake? Spread a piece of lace across the top and sprinkle a liberal amount of powdered sugar or cocoa powder on top. Remove the lace and you’ve got a gorgeous, lacy design!
- Want to speed up your rising time for doughs? Set your covered bowl on top of an electric heating pad or blanket, set on medium-low.
- Whip up a batch of whipped cream by shaking it in a mason jar with a lid. A vigorous shake for about three minutes does the trick!
- Most baking recipes call for room-temperature eggs. If you forgot to take the eggs out hours in advance, simply place them in a bowl of warm tap water for about 10 minutes.
- Ran out of brown sugar? Make your own by mixing granulated sugar with molasses.
- Tired of splatters from your hand mixer? Use a paper plate as a barrier. Simply poke the beaters through the plate and insert them into the mixer to create an effective, disposable shield.
- Keep your favorite go-to recipes handy by printing them out and posting them inside a kitchen cupboard door for easy reference.
- Before popping cakes into the oven, hold the pan a few inches over the counter top and drop the pan. This will pop any air bubbles for a more dense, moist cake.
- Use dental floss to cut smooth, even layers of cake. Wrap a long strand around, cross in the front and pull slowly for a clean cut every time.
- Substitute Jell-O for food coloring in frostings. You get color, flavor and structure from the gelatin!
- Keep a couple of marshmallows in your brown sugar to keep it from going hard.
- Dip cookie cutters into flour before the dough for a no-stick, clean cut over and over.
- Get your cupcakes uniform size by using a cookie dough scoop sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Create your own colored sprinkles with sugar and food coloring (and this easy tutorial).