5 Fun Activities While the Kids Are Out of School
Looking for a way to entertain the kids (and yourself) on a rare day off from school? Try one of these five fantastic ideas to make the most of your day:
- Build a giant fort together then fill it with blankets, snacks and books, or watch a movie together on a laptop or tablet. Flashlights are a must.
- Venture outdoors for a nature walk. Equip each person with a camera if possible and have everyone look for beauty and details in nature. Then, put together a slide show with all the photos set to one of your favorite songs.
- We use the phrase “like a kid in a candy store,” but when is the last time that actually happened? Look online for an old fashioned-style candy store nearby and take the kids on a field trip. Encourage them to try something different.
- Escape winter by finding an indoor pool and spend the day barefoot in swimsuits. Go all the way by stopping for ice cream cones on the way home.
- Preheat the oven, roll up your sleeves and bake batches of cookies together. Cookies are a perfect beginner’s course for young bakers. Read the recipe together, measure ingredients, explain the process, and most of all, remember to lick the beaters! Bake the cookies and let the kids bask in a job well done. (Looking for recipe recommendations? Try our Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookies or Melting Snowman Cookies.)