10 Fun Activities While The Kids Are Out of School
If you’re worried about a little cabin fever over the holiday break, here are 10 fun ideas to keep everybody entertained:
1. You’ve got an abundance of snow and an abundance of time, which can only mean one thing: it’s time to build a proper snow fort. Gather up your shovels and buckets and get to work. Need some inspiration? Start here.
2. Have a movie marathon. Pop the popcorn, gather your favorite stuffed animals, and watch two or three movies in a row. It’s a blissful indulgence, perfect for a winter afternoon.
3. Are you sure you know the best cheeseburger in town? Pile the kids in the car and choose four places to compete. Buy one sandwich at each stop, share it, and tally the votes.
4. Arrange a progressive play date with your kids’ friends and their parents. Kids can spend 1-2 hours at each house, giving all the parents a short shift, and a lot of peace and quiet after!
5. Visit a different library and discover new titles, new reading nooks, and new ideas.
6. Play “restaurant” with the kids. Plan a menu, write it up, let someone play cook and waiter and serve the other family members. It’s up to you whether to charge real money.
7. Spin the globe, pick a random spot, and take a virtual vacation. Jump on the Internet and find out what to do and see while there. Where would you visit? What would you eat? Find YouTube videos about it and enjoy a virtual escape.
8. Turn the house into a full-service beauty salon. Manicures, pedicures, hair styling, and makeup are just a few of the services you can offer in a day full of fun.
9. Almost every digital gadget these days has a camera, so have the kids make their own movie or recreate one of their favorites.