My Favorite Way to Beat the Mid-Winter Blues
Between the bleak gray sky, the chilling temperatures, and the devastating news on the TV, it’s easy to get caught up in some serious mid-winter blues. You know the kind of blues I’m talking about, right? The ones that involve sweatpants, a bulk size bag of trans-fats, and several hours clutching a remote control. I’ve drawn up my favorite way to fight the funk in a few simple steps:
1. Preheat the oven. A warm oven brings the whole house to life.
2. Pull out a favorite cookie recipe.
3. Put on some dancing music.
4. Dance, mix, bake. Repeat. (By the way, children make great backup dancers, mixers, and bakers.)
5. Bundle warm cookies into cellophane bags and tie with a pretty ribbon.
6. Bundle myself to brave the elements.
7. Step out into the fresh air and deliver goodie bags to friends and neighbors.
A few minutes of fresh air and conversation does wonders for me. I’m reminded that I wasn’t meant to hibernate and that a freshly baked treat is always met with a friendly smile. Before long, January blahs have given way to a new boost of energy and my sweatpants aren’t nearly as enticing as my dancing shoes. You might want to give it a try.
Or maybe you have another idea? What’s your favorite way to beat the mid-winter blues?