Hitting the open road this summer? You’ll want to take some of our best tips with you for ultimate cruising pleasure.
1. Download our Best Road Trip Games and keep a copy in the glove compartment at all times. The best way to diffuse tension on hour seven is with a game that gets everybody laughing and thinking.
2. Have you started using the Waze app yet? It keeps you apprised of real-time traffic and slow-downs and suggests alternate routes to get you where you need to go as quick as you can.
3. Stock a cooler with a range of great snacks. Gas station nachos are great (are they?), but you don’t want to rely on them to keep you satisfied. A mix of fruits, nuts, cheese, dried meats and some sweets will give you an easy range of options to suit your cravings.
4. Keep lots of water in the car, more than you think you’ll need. Travel is dehydrating, and in the event that you get delayed or sidetracked, you’ll have plenty on hand.
5. Stop for scenic outlooks. Getting out, stretching your legs, and taking a few selfies is a great way to keep travelers happy. Plus, you’ll see vistas and views that you’d otherwise miss!
6. Keep a map or atlas on hand. In the event that your cell phone dies or the GPS can’t find a signal, having a map with you means peace of mind.
7. Ask locals where to eat. If you’re stopping for a meal, forego the fast food chains and find out what the locals like. Use apps like Yelp or simply ask the person filling up next to you. It could lead you to great spots only the locals know!
8. Travel with cookies. A tin of Mrs. Fields cookies travels well anywhere you go, and the cookies are individually wrapped to keep them fresh mile after mile!
9. Invest in good sunglasses. Polarized lenses will keep your eyes protected and relaxed all day long, keeping glares and headaches far away.
10. Break long trips down into smaller pieces. Avoid “Are we there yet?” by making smaller check points along the way.
Do you have road trip tips? Share them in the comments!