Here’s a fun idea for a teacher, graduate, or anybody who deserves a pat on the back after a long school year (maybe you?): a giant sugar cookie decorated like a sheet of school paper with your own personal greeting! In addition to my favorite sugar cookie recipe and royal icing, you’ll need some edible marking pens, dental floss, and masking tape to create this treat. Let’s get started:
School Paper Big Cookie
1. Prepare and chill cookie dough for several hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Divide dough in half. On a sheet of parchment paper, roll out one half of the dough into a 1/2-inch rectangle. Use a sheet of standard paper to measure exact size, then trim excess.
4. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until middle is puffy and edges are not-yet browned. Remove and cool completely.
5. Prepare royal icing (leaving it all white) to stiff-peaked thickness. Reserve a small portion for piping.
6. Smear a dollop of frosting in the middle of your cake plate or serving tray to keep the cookie secure. Place the cookie on top, then pipe the icing around the perimeter.
7. Slowly stir in one tablespoon of water at a time to the remaining icing until you have a more fluid icing to “flood” inside the perimeter. Fill in an even layer, using a toothpick to spread to the edges. Allow icing to set for several hours before decorating with markers.
8. To make the school paper lines, take clean threads of dental floss and secure them down and across the cookie with masking tape to create your grid. (One vertical red stripe on the left, then several evenly spaced horizontal blue stripes down the page.) Mark the red stripe first, then work from the top down to keep your markers from smudging. Remove the dental floss.
9. Finally, use the black marker to write a personal message or a custom design. Voila!
No time or energy for this project? Our Big Cookie Cakes available online and in stores can do the same trick in no time at all. You can have the message personalized with up to 20 characters and the frosting colors of your choice!
Thank You Big Cookie Cake